Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Looks like Home

Here's the thing.

This time when our president stood at the platform and gave a great speech with a call to action for all of the citizens of the U.S. I noticed something I've never seen before.



This time the folks on that platform behind him looked like us. They looked like my family. It looked like us. There were white folks, and black folks and Asian folks and hapa folks. We can relate to Konrad Ng, the Canadian Chinese brother-in-law of the president. We can relate to Maya, our president's sister. We can relate to our president and his mixed race heritage. We can relate.

Even though I am the white one in my family, the people I hold dearest and closest and who live daily in this house with me are represented here on this platform.

It is something I can't even put words to. But is one of the most profound moments for us. Ever.

No comments: