Sunday, August 23, 2009

A long, long week.

My family is in Tokyo playing flight roulette. The flight to Atlanta is full, turns out Delta upgrades elite passengers--yes it's a big syndicate. The flight to Portland that looked good isn't. The Detroit flight that was the absolute sure thing totally tanked. And the flight to Seattle has never looked good.

The joys of the non rev game; flying stanby.

I'm sure they'll be home eventually. Yes, the adventure may include sleeping in some airport someplace, on some continent some where. Part of the plan is always the potential for Hawaii, but I know that only the youngest brought swim trunks.

We'll just see. The last email said "guess I won't be able to check in with you until we're in the states" which can mean 8:30am tomorrow mornining in Seattle, or Portland or LA or San Fransisco. Or it could mean Atlanta in the afternoon or Detroit who knows when.

I'll just keep my phone with me. It's only 15 minutes to the airport. We'll figure it out.

I have had a really long week and I am ready to go back to a regular routine, with regular chaos and the regular people that usually live here with me.

But I wonder if this is exactly what I needed; a week to sit with life, sit with my realities. Sit with who and what and how things are. Having my family in Asia was hard, but it was hard like driving by the intersection where you had a bad crash a few years back. It makes your heart beat fast, there is anxiety. It's hard. But it's old and once you've gone past it, it's gone. Maybe I can really leave some of the TRA(Transracial Adoptee) spouse trauma behind, now.

I thought I'd have gotten a million things done; the garden sorted out, the shopping for birthdays all done, life all tidy and organized. But no, there were some bigger fish to fry. Sturgeon, big salmon and some caribbean swordfish. Big fish.

And I think we had some nice panko and that we fried them up but good. Well done, it turned out to be pretty well done.

So then I guess the truth is that things work out just the way they should. They really do.

And all will be well. Just like Dame Julian says. All will be well. All will be well, all manner of things, will be well.

Amen




1 comment:

Diana said...

Sigh. I hope they get home sooner rather than later. You are with me in my heart -- garbage thinking, fish-frying and all.


"...By the power of every moment of your goodness
May your heart's wishes be soon fulfilled
as completely shining as the bright full moon,
as magically as by a wish-fulfilling gem...."

more blessings