Friday, January 1, 2010

The New Year

It's been quite a decade.

On New Year's Eve 1999 my family had recently moved into our second house in Minnesota. We had an 8-year-old, a 5-year-old and a three-year-old. We hand't yet begun homeschooling. I worked for the Y. My husband and I had what we thought was a completely unshakable marriage.

It's been quite a decade.

I'm thankful to be 42; thankful to have learned a lot about myself and the odd species to which I belong. Most of the people who I loved ten years ago are still in my life, that's wildly lucky. We have friends who are like family here in Washington. Our sons have become young men, and we now have a marriage that is clearly very shakable--we've just decided not to shake it.

Good stuff.

The years go by faster and faster. And while yes, our dreams may be "all dead, nothing more than confetti on the floor..." it's OK. New dreams grow. Better dreams? Maybe, surely dreams grounded in real life. Happiness becomes a slow warming not a wildfire. Love is deep and solid--a river that's settled into it's banks. It's good.

I pray for love and peace, for joy, for sweetness and hope-- through the new decade and beyond. May it be so.

Amen.


No comments: