Saturday, September 20, 2008

Violins in the Dark

Oh that Ms. Kitty, she's nailed it. Her post today sings out to my heart like a haunting violin played by an old Roma man, in the middle of the night, in the dark forests of Romania! How do we set limits in our work in our beloved congregations? There is so much to do, so much to be, so much to notice. So much.

I told my beloved and magical minister colleague that if I'd worked my hours this week, I'd have been done Tuesday night. But there are dear families who need some time and attention that I truly want be available for, and classes to launch, and beloved children who deserve fantastic programming, and totally unexpected changes for class compositions that need to be addressed.

And how can I stop?

But how can I give the whole of my life? Doesn't my family deserve at least a little of that level of attention? And don't I need to clean my house at least sometimes??

I told my precious sisters and brothers at our LREDA cluster lunch this week. that my motto this year is "Put on your own oxygen mask before assisting others."

But, of course, it's September. There is no busier time for us. And this beloved work is good work. A little 18 month-old just had to come into a meeting happening at her house this week and say "hello" to me, because she's known me since she was born. That's good stuff. And it's worth it.

And my fantastic congregation did give me all of July off, and understands comp time.

It's good work, and time so very well spent.

Yep, keep on keepin' on. And try for balance. And see if that old man playing the violin knows a waltz. Or a polka. Now, that would be nice!

2 comments:

Lilylou said...

Ah, Kari, we do know how it works, don't we? Ministry isn't just a job.

Kari said...

Yes, Kit! Yes. Thanks for singin' the song. It's all good. All good!