Monday, November 10, 2008

Funny World

I am not avoiding my NaNoWriMo writing, just in case anyone who might have promised me a pastry if I write 1,500 more words thinks I am. No, well maybe a little. Just a little though.

Last week I got a facebook friend request from a guy I went to high school with. Well, more that that, Jr High too. And we went to the same church, not always at the same time, but he was UU too.

After a few days of back and forth on facebook we got to talk by phone today. He has a lovely wife and a beautiful little daughter with another baby on the way. And he's had a life that flows along like so many of our lives. Flood and drought. The times when all goes just along over the rocks with a song and times when it crashes down over a cliff.

It was so nice to talk with him. There was no pretense, no pretending. I guess we come from the same place, the same home church in a way, the same place in time, so why not just tell it like it is? There's no reason to hide. In some ways it felt like looking back over the last 20 years together and saying "Yeah? That's how I saw it too, always wondered if I just made it up."

Not that the last 20 years were awful or bad. Just that it's good to have the view confirmed.

"Yep. Me, too."

In some ways I think those of us who grew up in the fellowship movement congreagations all might have at least slightly similar experiences. Many of us yearn deeply for more from our churches. We want that deep holy spark that moves us. And, for most of us, we find it.

All the more reason for me to work hard in the church I love and make it a place that fills that hole without question. All the more reason for me to work hard for the children I love to give them the spiritual grounding and the spiritual wings they deserve.

It's good work, if we can get it. I'm thankful to have it.

OK, OK, back to writing, only 2,000 words to catch up to the goal for the day. Ah! Yikes!

No comments: