Friday, November 14, 2008

Our Bleeding Hearts...

Over at the blog Root and Source there's an impassioned appeal "My bleeding heart started dripping especially heavily" to help deeply needy children in Afghanistan. Me, too. Drip, drip, drip.

I'm not at all familiar with the organization linked to. I'm sure it's a good and worthy destination for our money.

If you want to do something in your RE Ministry, or in a social action project for your whole congregation I can't say enough good things about Pennies for Peace and the simple, effective materials they offer. The video they sent was riveting for our children ages 3 and up. I added a little worship during which we each took three sips of tea to symbolize three cups of tea. Man, this really helped the message stick. Then we decorated jars for our congregation to collect their pennies and made Afghani cookies. We read books about kids in Afghanistan and Pakistan. It was volunteer friendly, child friendly, youth friendly and inexpensive.

And all those pennies will go to CAI and I hope help that little girl get an education and have a good life. I hope.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very touching. I just spent the weekend at our UU Youth Con for middle school kids. It was a great experience from all angles, but what impressed me most is how much the kids really do care. Maybe there is some hope after all.


Oh, by the way, I tagged you on a meme post on my blog.

You are welcome. ;)

Participation is not required, but appreciated.

Six Random Things About Me