Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sad News

Today when my husband logged on to his computer, the top story on CNN reported that the Guatemalan army had taken babies from families to be adopted internationally. They were refering specifically to abductions that happened back in the 70s and 80s.

He just shook his head. "Yep." he's an adult TRA (transracial adoptee) and while we know enough of his personal story to know this isn't what happened to him, it's hard for him to hear. It's hard for us to hear.

Every morning I read blogs for my news, I mean, after CNN reported gun shots from someone saying over a radio "bang bang bang" I think it confirms that sometimes news organizations exaggerate. One of the blogs I read every morning is Harlow's Monkey, which has stories like the one on CNN more often than you'd think. He just shakes his head at me "are you trying to make me angry every single morning?". So I don't think that CNN is blowing this story out of proportion. Unfortunately, I think we'll just begin to hear more and more about the ugly parts of the transracial and transnational adoption industry.

My question is, what do we DO once the ugly bits are really known? How do we help the families who are in place, dealing with this horrible mess. Other people can figure out how to deal with the adoption industry. I want to help with the families that are affected by adoption. Families like mine. Yes, the adoptee in our family is an adult, but we dealt with some of the same issues that I think will affect families with children who are adoptees. Surely if those children are adult children, some of the issues will be the same. What do you do when the people you love are in pain? When the stories don't match what you've always understood to be the truth? With wave after wave of new and increasingly painful feelings?

I don't have the answers, but at least, I've already asked the questions myself.






No comments: