Saturday, February 14, 2009

Miley Cyrus blames God

In some ways I hope that no one follows pop culture enough to know about this story. I mean, Miley Cyrus? Please. But in another way, I cannot believe that if Miley Cyrus had folded her lips into "Black People Lips" and been photographed that it would NOT have made CNN and created a huge nation wide outrage.

Instead she did what the Asian and Hapa men in my house call "Doing Chink-eyes". And the only coverage I can find is on TMZ and Angry Asian Man. Not a huge blanket of coverage, at least from what I can find.

And then she apologized, first in a really lame way.

Then, I think she may have blamed God.

"I want to thank all of my fans for their support not only this week, but always! I really wanted to stress how sorry I am if the photo of me with my friends offended anyone. I have learned a valuable lesson from this and know that sometimes my actions can be unintentionally hurtful. I know everything is a part of GOD's ultimate plan, and mistakes happen so that eventually I will become the woman he aspires me to be. Peace and love, Miles"

"If" the photo offended anyone? What, is she really that clueless. Yes, it offended lots of someones.

And what on earth has God got to do with it? The God in my heart would advise that you used your own free will to do something really stupid, and the very Christian thing to do would be to drop to your knees beg forgiveness and try to learn from the way that you screwed up. I'm glad her God isn't mine. I'd hate to be so mind controlled.

Boycott Disney. Speak the truth. And tell your Hannah Montana loving sweet daughters that this is not OK.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Keith Olbermann covered this--or someone on MSNBC.

Sara said...

I hadnt seen this. How can she be so obtuse?

Joel Monka said...

How can she be so obtuse? Pretty easily, actually. She's Billy Ray's daughter, and I doubt she was raised to internally vet every word and gesture before speaking, like someone raised in a more liberal family would; and being a teenager, she doesn't have enough experience of her own to learn the skill. I'm sure she was genuinely surprised to learn that she had hurt anyone's feelings. I don't expect 30 year old heads on 16 year old shoulders... boycotting Disney for this is an overreaction.

Kari said...

Joel,

I'm not a Disney fan anyhow, so it makes no difference to me. But again, what would her show's creator, her corporate backer have done if she'd insulted African American's in a mocking of physical characteristics? This is the test my husband puts everything to. As the white one in the family, I completely defer to his understanding of the situation. I don't expect Miley to have any sense at all, but Disney? They should have whispered in her ear about the right things to do. And clearly they didn't.

Robin Edgar said...

I'm not a UUA fan anyhow, so it makes no difference to me. But again, what would Rev. Cynthia Cain's Lexington KY U*U church's creator, her "corporate backer", have done if she'd insulted African Americans, or Jews, or Asians for that matter. . . in the same way she smeared Republicans? I don't expect Rev. Cynthia Cain to have any sense at all, but the UUA? They should have whispered in her ear about the right things to do. And clearly they didn't. . .

Kari said...

??

I'm angry with Miley Cyrus for making my sons feel like they don't belong in our culture. I think Disney is enabling racism. Your issues should be spoken about in your blog.